General ledger consolidation overview
The consolidation process in the General ledger includes three stages:
- Consolidation setup, which is performed by each consolidation unit and by the parent company
- Data preparation by each consolidation unit
- Import of the consolidation data from each of the units by the parent company
These stages are described in the sections below.
The parent company should perform the following actions to set up consolidation:
- Decide which branches will consolidate which data.
- Provide proper information about the accounts and subaccounts in accordance with the required level of consolidation details.
This information will be used for mapping in the consolidation units.
- Perform the synchronisation to update the lists of ledgers and branches available in the consolidation units for consolidation.
- Configure access to the consolidation unit's Visma.net ERP website by specifying valid credentials.
To set up consolidation, the consolidation unit should perform the following actions:
- Mapping the unit's accounts to the parent company's accounts on the chart of accounts.
- Specifying all the settings for proper mapping of the unit's subaccount segments to the parent
company's subaccounts in the Segment values (CS203000), Segment keys (CS202000), andConsolidation (GL103000) windows.
For mapping options and examples, see: About account mapping for consolidations.Selecting the required ledgers as source ledgers for consolidation in the Ledgers (GL201500) window, and specifying a particular branch or branches if needed.
During the import, consolidation data is grouped by the financial periods of the reporting unit.
Thus, financial periods in the consolidation units and in the parent company should be defined similarly; otherwise, the consolidated data will be incorrect.
If a consolidation unit uses multiple currencies or a different base currency than that of the parent company, the unit should translate the data into the base currency of the parent company before the parent company imports the data. If you want to consolidate the translated data, specify the reporting ledger as the unit's source ledger. To consolidate the original data, specify the actual ledger as the source ledger of the unit.
The consolidation data is imported to the selected branch of the parent company as general ledger batches with system-generated descriptions.
Before the system starts to import the consolidation data, the system transforms the unit's subaccounts into the parent's subaccounts using the segment values mapping and other related settings. Consolidation data being imported to the parent company is available by using the SOAP gateway as a set of GLConsolRead instances.
Every GLConsolRead instance consists of four data fields:
AccountCD(general ledger account)
MappedValue(parent company subaccount)
ConsolAmtCredit(total credit value for period)
ConsolAmtDebit(total debit value for period)
To import the consolidation data from the consolidation units to the parent company, use the
Import consolidation data (GL509000) window.
Select the unit and the source ledger, and then click Process.
The financial data will be imported from the database of the consolidation unit to the specified branch of the parent company.
To consolidate data of the different types (such as actual data and budget data), use separate ledgers in the parent company.
Manage consolidations - overview
About account mapping for consolidations